Sunday, December 30, 2012

Juice of a Few Flowers

In my opinion, Ina Garten - better known as the Barefoot Contessa, always gets it right.  I often find myself drooling while watching her show and I own several of her cookbooks.  That's why this particularly gloomy night, I decided to brighten up my winter with one of my favorite summer cocktails 'Juice of a Few Flowers.'  I mainly make this cocktail in the summer due to the amount of citrus fruit involved, lemon, grapefruit, and oranges oh my!  I will warn you to be cautious while sipping pretty on this dainty drink.. It is a lot stronger than meets the eye!






Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice (1 grapefruit)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
  • 1 cup good vodka (recommended: Grey Goose or Finlandia), optional
  • Extra lemon juice
  • Granulated sugar
  • Fresh mint sprigs
Directions
After juicing all of the fruit, Combine the orange juice, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and vodka, in a pitcher. Dip the rim of 6 martini glasses first in a dish with lemon juice and then a dish with sugar. Set aside to dry.

When ready to serve, place ice cubes in a cocktail shaker, add the cocktail mixture to fill the shaker 3/4 full, and shake for about 30 seconds. It's important to shake for a full 30 seconds to get the drink very cold and dilute it slightly with the ice. Pour into the sugared martini glasses and if you wish, garnish with a sprig of mint. Continue filling the shaker with ice and cocktail mixture until all the drinks are poured. Serve ice cold.

Enjoy!

Love,
Savannah


No comments:

Post a Comment